Saturday, November 29, 2008

Thanksgiving

This year we decided to have an unconventional/traditional Thanksgiving. Trevor and I hosted the event, but there are not any rooms in our house large enough to host 14 people comfortably. We decided to feed everyone in our garage. My wonderful sister and I assigned food to different people. I brought the punch, turkey, turkey gravy (which mom made), and all of the place settings. Dina brought ham, ham gravy, green bean casserole, and stuffing (she tried Rachel Rays advice and made it crunchy by cooking it in muffin tins). Jenn brought the veggie tray. Mom brought mashed potatoes, 2 jello salads, and rolls. With everyone contributing it makes the meal pretty simple. We served it buffet style with everything on my kitchen table and counters, and everyone sat in the *clean* garage and ate (my Dad brought tent heaters to heat the garage--it stayed warm).

Then for dessert we made seven cheesecakes. Dina and I love cheesecake as do the majority of the members of our family, so we decided to experiment with cheesecakes. We made two key lime cheesecakes using a recipe that is supposedly the cheesecake factories key lime recipe. We made one junior mint cheesecake, two chocolate coconut cheesecakes, one sour cream cheesecake, and one sugar free cheesecake (for those diabetics).

We sat around and played games (tunebaya & last word) and later in the night we played the wii. It was a hoot to watch people try to hula hoop on wii fit. We munched all day and into the night drinking our punch (which is my mom's famous punch, but we added fresh limes to it) and eating a Fuhrmann family favorite dill pickle dip.

The kids ran around dancing in front of the webcam and dancing with their disco lights in Talvyn's room when they were not eating or playing the wii.

Weird huh? Eating in a garage, eating all day, no pumpkin pie-or any pie, and watching people flail their bodies around in a circle to an imaginary hula hoop. Our kind of day!

8 comments:

Tiniel said...

Sounds like a BLAST! Seriously what a fun memory for all of you!

Mary T. said...

Sounds like you had a great day!!! It is fun to be different and start some of "your own" traditions!!

dianeb said...

ooooooh - we are cheesecake lovers too! Now that my kids are getting older they ask for cheesecake for their birthday cakes -hee hee, I trained them well!
Junior mint??? I must try that!!!
Your family is awesome! sounds like you had tons of fun!

The Sayer Family said...

I love that you had cheesecake instead of pie. I will have to remember that one for next year.

Nicole Williams said...

Sounds like you guys had a lot of fun! We sure missed you all, but are glad you were able to have fun with your family.

Holly said...

What a fun Thanksgiving! I love the Cheesecake idea, I'm not a big pie fan but I LOVE cheesecake! Will you share your recipes? Everything sounds so yummy from the cheesecake to the punch, down to the dill pickle dip!

Vanetta said...

Next time I have a craving for cheesecake I am calling you and Dina!!!

Dana Williams said...

Call us anytime!