Monday, March 22, 2010

72 Hour Kits

I have recently discovered a new favorite blog...Sisters stuff. I think that these sisters are my kind of women. They share their weekly menus, recipes, organizing tips, crafts, etc. I just read a post of theirs about 72 hour kits and it inspired me to create my own. I know that it is good to be prepared, but with all that has happened lately in Haiti it reminded me to have them just in case of an emergency.

Day 1:
Breakfast: Hot chocolate, Pop tart, granola bar, spoon
Lunch: Juice, Tuna salad, applesauce, spoon
Dinner: PB sandwich crackers, Ramen noodles, fruit snacks, spoons

Day 2:
Breakfast: Hot chocolate, 1 pkg. instant oatmeal, small can of peaches, spoon
Lunch: Ramen noodles, PB sandwich crackers, forks
Dinner: Juice, applesauce, chicken salad, spoons

Day 3:
Breakfast: Hot chocolate, small can of juice, 2 pkgs instant oatmeal, spoon
Lunch: Sm. can of pears, trail mix, jerky
Dinner: Spaghetti O's with meatballs, animal crackers, spoons

Snacks: 3 cans of olives, trail mix, juicy fruit gum, peanuts
** use non-minty gum so that it won't effect the taste of everything else in the kit

I have not added my water (the most important element), cash (in small bills), toiletries, candles, a water heating device, hand warmers, hand sanitizer, solar blankets, flares, or a first aid kit. I plan on doing those in the near future.


On a side note, Trevor does worry that the kits are too heavy for long treks across desolate burned-out wastelands though. Also, when being pursued by radiation-mutants or leather-clad mercenaries of the apocalypse it might be important to include some mace at least too. I commented that Tom Cruise wished he had one of these kits while he was running from the aliens in War of the Worlds. Ha, ha, ha!!

6 comments:

'T' said...

I'm going to check out those sisters right now... not check them out like "wow, they are hot", but check out their blog. :) If I get stranded for 72 hours I hope I'm with you, those kids sound great.

'T' said...

HA I meant kits, not kids. Don't ya wish they'd let you go back and fix your typos?

DeAnna said...

Way to go on your 72 hour kits! Just a little advice...peanuts and peanut butter both go rancid. Guess how I found that out? Yep! The hard way. Yuck!

The Sayer Family said...

Oooooo! Thank you so much! We just talked about getting 72 hour kits together for the kids. This is perfect!

Rita Peck said...

The heaviest part of our kits is the water...we have thought of buying expensive water purifiers so that we can use dirty water around us....they are really pricey so till then we have really heavy kits

Garett said...

I know a family that has a small rolling suitcase packed for everyone in the family. Granted, a light back-pack would be more efficient when running from zombies, but a rolling suitcase allows more adversity in storage.